The Grainfather is an all in one Brewing System with a hefty feature set and an economical price tag. It has a small footprint, but will brew five gallons of beer from all grain using household 120 v power. Mashing takes place in the inner Stainless basket, and recirculates through the perforated plate (also SS!), resulting in great efficiency and clarity. This unit also includes a counterflow chiller for cooling wort post boil.
Use the Connect Control Box in conjunction with the Connect App (and the recipe creator coming soon) for the ultimate brewing experience. The control box has Bluetooth connection to your mobile device so it can be controlled remotely. Control your entire brew with just a few touches on your smart phone! This allows you to multitask or simply relax while brewing and then be alerted when to return to your next step.
GrainFather Connect Features:
- PID algorithm works in conjunction with a triac for more stable heating and so you can control power output
- Programmable step mashing
- Delayed heating - fill your Grainfather with water the night before and wake up to your water at strike temperature ready for brewing straight away
- Change between Celsius and Fahrenheit easily
- Waterproof graphic display
- Use in manual mode or with app
- Grainfather Grain Kit recipes provided in the app.
- Ability to import recipes (Beer XML files) - NOTE: iOS9 and higher
- Set your own boil temperature (for different altitudes)
- Change between celsius and fahreheit easily
- Grainfather calculators provided in app
- Create recipes on the Grainfather Brewing Community and then sync these with the Connect App to brew
- NOTE: The android app is currently in development, temporary version available)
- Hardware: iPhone 4S or higher
- Software: iOS8 or higher . Must have Bluetooth 4.0 or higher
- Android (currently in development, temporary version available)
- Hardware: Android 4.3 (API Level 18) or higher
- Software: Must have Bluetooth Low Energy (LE)/Bluetooth Smart
- 304 SS Construction
- Tempered Glass Lid for mash insulation
- Mag Drive Pump (6 Watt 1800 rpm)
- SS Pump Filter
- Expandable Grain Basket will fit a wide range of grain bills
- SS Perforated filter for grain basket
- 1600 Watt Heating Element
- Temperature Controlled Elements for mash control
- Insulated Recirculation Pipe
- 8 US Gal Capacity
- Includes cleaner
- Includes CounterFlow Wort Chiller with copper inner coil
Ships from Brew and Grow Minnesota if you live in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, & Nebraska.
Outside of the above area will drop ship from our supplier via FedEx Ground. Allow 1-3 weeks for delivery.
24 Month Warranty on Grainfather.
Using the Grainfather App is super simple. Just touch the connect button and it will connect your phone to your Grainfather. It will give you a display of current temperature, target temperature, heat on or off, and pump on or off. You can also adjust your target temperature using the up/down arrows. If you want to use a Grainfather recipe or your own recipe, just touch the Start Session button.
When you touch the Start Session button, it takes you to this screen to choose a recipe.
I selected the Two Hearted Ale recipe and this screen comes up. It tells you exactly how much mash and sparge water you will need, target mash temp, it will alert you when you are at your mash in temperature, when your mash is done, when the boil is started, when to add your first hop addition and all hop additions, and when your boil is done.
This is the controller on the Grainfather. As you can see it is showing that your are running the Two Hearted Ale brewing session. You can also see the bluetooth symbol. On the right is says Heat 100%. With the built in PID controller you can adjust your heat output from 1 to 100%.
You can see as the temperature nears the target temperature the PID controller automatically reduces the amount of heat so it won't overshoot your target temperature.
You've reached your target temperature. As you can see power output is now 19%. The PID controller will constantly throttle the power up and down as necessary to maintain the target temperature. This also prevents accidental scorching of the grains and eliminates overshooting of temperature.
The included counter flow chiller is designed to sit on top of the lid of the Grainfather. The wort in (white at the top) connects to the pump.The wort out (white at the bottom) goes to your fermenter. The blue (not pictured as it is on the other side of the chiller) is connected to your garden hose or faucet. The drain hose (red) goes to the drain.
I was very impressed with it. It was easy to set up and connect and it chilled the entire batch in about 5 minutes down to a temperature of 68.5 degrees.